Saturday, September 27, 2014

Vigilance plus inactivity

The activities I like are the ones Zuzu can do entirely on her own, or that I can do alongside her. The ones I don’t like are the ones that require hovering. The combination of vigilance and inactivity is my least favorite combination. Potty training is an example. You have to spend a lot of time standing in the bathroom while your child sits on the toilet, waiting to see if anything will happen. Tooth brushing is another one. You want to let them do it on their own, and you want to make sure they’re doing it right, which for a very long time they aren’t, so you have to be present to bark things like, “Scrub! Back and forth! Up and down! Don’t suck, scrub! No, don’t look at the soap, concentrate on brushing your teeth. NO RUNNING WITH A TOOTHBRUSH IN YOUR MOUTH!” The supreme example of vigilance plus inactivity is the playground. The playground reminds me of stakeout scenes in cop shows. For long periods of time nothing happens, but you can’t read a book or distract yourself in any way, just in case something happens.
    The activities I like best include baking, taking walks, and especially art.

No comments: