Thursday, June 11, 2015

Pontoon

Zuzu: 3.55 yrs old
Bear: 1.44 yrs old

The host couple of our small group Bible study generously invited the group to take a ride on their pontoon boat. Hubs couldn't come, and I'd confessed to friends beforehand that I was stressed out about managing both kids on a boat. But my friends entertained Zuzu the whole time. She was delighted to be surrounded by so many nice people. The boat owner keeps spare sunglasses and hats on the boat--Zuzu tried them all on, and received many compliments. Zuzu has a Favorite Adult, one of the small group gals. Favorite Adult always listens and responds to Zuzu earnestly, without condescension. She is endlessly patient and in good humor. Zuzu enjoyed the attention of all the adults, but she liked best to sit next to Favorite Adult and tell her stories.

Bear charged up and down the length of the pontoon a couple of times, with me hovering. Then he and his baby friend became fascinated by a shiny silver knob and took turns pushing on it, and then Bear sat in my lap and gave in to sleepiness, as he hadn't taken an afternoon nap. He became very still and very heavy in my arms. The bulky lifejacket came right up under his chin, but he didn't seem to mind. His eyes drooped to slits, but didn't close. He was still blinking and changing positions now and then. That's how we stayed for most of the time on the water. I wondered--is this what he always does at nap time? Maybe he never sleeps, just sort of zones out? But anyway, it made for quite a carefree boat ride for me.

We had dinner at the couple's beautiful cabin afterwards. My kids chased each other around the house. No one seemed to mind. I wondered if anybody actually minded? Besides Zuzu and Bear there was Bear's baby friend and another baby girl. My kids were the rowdiest. I didn't do much mothering while we were there. Everyone else was so kind and helpful and attentive, and also so laidback. I was thankful.

After the hour-long car ride home Bear was asleep. I scooped him out of his carseat and carried him inside without him stirring. His little body so warm and heavy ... his head on my shoulder ...

No comments: