Monday, June 1, 2015

Toothbrushing peek-a-boo

Zuzu: 3.54 yrs old
Bear: 1.42 yrs old

Bear is so happy I'm on the floor with him. He's so happy he gets to climb all over me, take a few steps away, hurtle back into a hug. Why don't I sit on the floor always? he wonders. I tickle his fat legs. He laughs heartily. When I stop he grabs my hands and tries to make me tickle him again.

Toothbrushing time ... kids and me hanging out in the bathroom. Bear wants to hold his own toothbrush. I try to take it and this makes him Unhappy. I cover my tired eyes with my fingertips, massage my eyebrows for a second, and sense Bear coming up to me, curious, maybe a little concerned? I pop my head up playfully and shout "peek-a-boo!" Bear erupts into laughter. We continue the game to get everybody in a good mood again. Zuzu joins in. Bear pulls Zuzu's hands off her eyes and shouts laughter into her face. Zuzu loves it when he laughs at her.

Zuzu comes up close to ask me a question ... she has an earnest look on her face and she climbs into my lap and for a moment I take it all in, her rosy cheeks and sweet little mouth and honey-gold ringlets floating round her face, her big eyes, her energy and imagination and playfulness and happiness and optimism ... little Zuzu, how good it is to have you near! I don't remember what her question was, that made her climb into my lap. It was probably something about mermaids, or fairies, or princesses ...

She dressed like a ballerina again today. She has three sets of leotards, tutus, and tights, and when they're clean, she wears them in order. She doesn't take dance classes yet, but she moves like a dancer, like a graceful little pixie.

Bear moves like a drunk, pigeon-toed linebacker.

No comments: