Sunday, August 28, 2011

Baby Names

On the subject of names for Jabberwocky, we have, not so much a list, as a nebula.  A cloud of names that hovers above the sleeping newborn baby we're picturing in our minds.  Names float in and out, and every once in a while one gains weight and drops closer to the baby, bouncing there expectantly to see if it's a match.  Then it will sore back up again into the cloud and another name will take its place, each in turn hoping for our nod of approval to make the final descent and land right on top of the baby's head.  We don't have any winners yet, but a couple contenders are beginning to make this journey up and down through the Name Nebula more often than the others.

I really enjoy talking about names.  I love it when expectant parents are willing to share the chosen name in advance.  Turns out, however, that I don't really feel like publicly disclosing what's currently drifting through our nebula.  I want to protect our name-options from inadvertent eyebrow wrinkles and lip curls, even if these reactions are brief and innocuous.  I can't help it.  Even blank looks of puzzlement make me defensive.  I demand nothing short of a warm and accepting smile for every name I pronounce!

Anders and I pick up the name question at regular intervals, about once a week or so.  Sometimes these conversations are productive.  Very frequently they sort of spin out of control until we are both just blurting out the most ridiculous things we can think of.  My favorite of these so far is "Mrs. Butterworth Helquist."  This was from Anders, in response to my suggestion of Jemima (which of course made him think of Aunt Jemima).

I'd like to have between two and four names to take with us to the hospital when it's time for the baby, and to defer the final verdict until we meet and hold her. 

1 comment:

Anika said...

regardless, i'm calling your daughter, Butterball.
There better not have been an eyebrow being raised or open mouth, Emily.
Butterball.