Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pregnancy update

The only times of day I don't have to go to the bathroom are for the first five minutes after every time I go to the bathroom. After that, it's just varying levels of urgency. In fact, if I take more than that amount of time in the bathroom, fixing my hair or something, by the time I'm about to leave, I change my mind and just sit down on the pot again. Yes, really. I think we're going through toilet paper and liquid hand soap like twice as fast as previously.

In general I've been feeling great, in answer to a frequently asked question. By which I mean I feel mostly normal most of the time. The main thing is tiredness. First trimester I could hardly cope with how tired I was. Those weeks are a blur. I remember the painful effort of simply staying awake through a work day. Besides that I remember very little, because the rest of the time I was sleeping. Around 18 weeks my energy levels normalized. Now I'm almost at 26 weeks and have taken up the afternoon naps again!

I find that a hard-boiled egg in the morning does help keep me going.

Jabberwocky is big enough now that I'm starting to feel the stretch. Anders has felt her a number of times by laying a hand on my belly.

Sorry to disappoint, but I can't rattle off any weird cravings I've had. At first the only foods that sounded good were pepperoni pizza and french fries. I even got a slice of pepperoni pizza at a gas station once. It came in a triangle-shaped cardboard box, and I devoured it with sincere gratitude. But recently my appetite has been unnoteworthy. I love the same things I loved before, but maybe cereal and yogurt more so.

It's nice having the pregnancy card to play, though. I can use it when I want ice cream, when I'd rather sleep than go out, when I'm forgetful, when I'm too lazy to get up. Since there are so many kind-hearted people in my life, it doesn't take much to play on their sympathies. :)

1 comment:

Kortney said...

I honestly think that feeling like I need to pee 100% of the time is worse than actually going 29 times a day. Right now I'm getting up 5 times a night. I try to tell myself that rolling out of bed, making it to the potty, and then trying to fall back asleep is still better than waking up to feed or rock a crying newborn. Either way, I feel tired!