Monday, August 29, 2011

What a Guy

Anders is a really, really good husband.  Ever seen the show 'Minute to Win It'?  I watched half an episode once.  The tasks are simple, like bouncing ping pong balls into glasses.  They're pointless, repetitive, crude, and silly.  The website uses descriptions like this: "Balance six dice on a popsicle stick held in your mouth"; "Transport all the gumballs from one soda bottle to another"; "Use 1 hand to run a piece of thread through the eye of 10 needles."  Just boring, altogether stupid stuff.  But to win it, you have to treat each task like it's of monumental importance.  If you've seen the show, you know how the contestants apply their concentration to every assignment.  Somehow they have to keep from getting flustered, even after a couple of errors.  They use delicacy and finesse.

Well, that's kinda how I'd say Anders approaches life with me.  Plenty of stuff in marriage is repetitive and crude, right?  And sometimes even feels more or less pointless.  But Anders pays attention to my moods and whims, and like the guy bouncing one ping pong ball after another into a row of glasses, he perseveres 'til he gets really good at opening me up.  He treats the job of making me smile like it's tremendously important.  He's so careful with me.  Man oh man, what a guy.

I've known ever since we were married that he's a great husband.  But now that he's gonna be a daddy, he fills me so full of affection I could just burst.  The tenderness with which he just helps me off the couch!  But he also dotes on Jabberwocky, and she hasn't even been born yet.  The thought of him holding her melts me.

So I guess that's my marriage advice to guys: treat your wife's happiness with all the seriousness you'd use if the fortune from 'Minute to Win It' were hanging in the balance.

No comments: