Sunday, August 7, 2011

What will Jabberwocky call her relatives?

My mom and dad will be "Oma" and "Opa."  Those are the terms of endearment for grandparents in German.  Dad's heritage is almost entirely German, as far as we know, though we haven't really kept track of any German relations.  He studied the German language (and once spoke it with something he could almost pass off as fluency!) and has maintained one of the greatest traditions known to mankind - the annual baking of Lebkuchen, a German spice cookie, for the holidays.  My sister Elisa studied German for seven years between high school and college.  She was a German major and has been to Germany.  I took four years in high school (and then "tested out" of it to get my two college credits).  We both have German Bibles.  I like to quote Psalm 1 and John 3:16 in German.  Martin Luther is a bit of a family hero.  Elisa gave me a VHS of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' that has been dubbed over in German.  She and I call each other Schwester.

The actual words for "grandmother" and "grandfather" are "Grossmutter" and "Grossvater."  Oma and Opa are more like Grandma and Grandpa.  My nephews Kiefer and Cooper already know Mom & Dad as Oma & Opa, so it will be natural for our daughter to call them the same thing.  Isn't it cute?

There's no German on Mom's side (again as far as we know).  She says she's Scotch-Irish.  I inherited some kind of feeling of belonging to the country of Ireland, though I've never visited.  If Gaelic had been offered as a language course, you bet I would have taken it.  Based on the Google results for the Irish words for grandparents, however, I don't think I would have been pushing for that route.  ("Seanmhair/Seanathair," anyone?)

We think Anders' mom will be Grammie.  That name fits her.  She likes it and said she has thought of herself that way.  My grandmother is Grammy, so I already love that name, but it will be nice to distinguish it by spelling it differently.  Anders' dad will probably be Grandpa or Papa.  To me, he looks and feels like a Papa.  At first I was rooting for the Swedish word, spelled "Farfar" but pronounced "Fafa."  Given the very Swedish names Anders and Anika, you probably won't be surprised to learn that there is Swedish on both sides of Anders' family.  In fact, he has an aunt and uncle spending some time in Sweden right now.  This is the same uncle who delivered part of his daughter's wedding toast in Swedish.  Maybe Jabberwocky will have some kind of Swedish name for him, if not for Anders' dad.

One idea I really like - if permission is granted - is to have Jabberwocky call Elisa "Sisi," instead of Aunt Elisa.  As I've mentioned before, Anders and his sister grew up calling their aunt Carla "Sasta."  I don't know why, but I love it.  Sisi is already an occasional nickname of ours for Elisa, and I love how affectionate it sounds.

To all: don't hesitate to submit your requests for the name by which you would like Jabberwocky to know you.  :)

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Permission granted! I love it!

Kortney said...

I would like to be known as "mommy's favorite friend in Iowa that we visit at least once a year." Sound good? Kortney

Emily said...

Kortney, that is completely adorable.