Sunday, October 23, 2011

Full-term!

As of two days ago, I'm considered full-term!  37 weeks!  Baby can come whenever she wants now!  I can cross off "pre-term labor" from the list of things to worry about!

It's time to admit that I'm tired of being pregnant.  1.) Tired of the difficulty of getting into the driver's seat of my Corolla.  I open the car door, take a breath, and then just sort of pitch myself sideways and downwards and hope I land safely.  2.) Tired of dropping my car keys all the time (clumsiness comes with pregnancy, but know what should come instead?  Exceptional dexterity and super fast reflexes.  That'd be way more helpful).  I drop my car keys maybe once in three times that I pull them from my purse.  When this happens I stand there for a few seconds and stare at them deflatedly before stooping to retrieve them.  3.) Tired of stooping in general.  When I get to work in the mornings the newspaper is sitting outside the front door.  I've started kicking it inside, then kicking it up the couple stairs in the entryway, then maneuvering it halfway up the counter with my foot until it's an easier reach.  4.) I grunt and groan like I'm already in labor - just to put on socks.  5.) Especially, emphatically tired of the time between going to bed and getting up - those hours which used to pass by all in one solid block of undisturbed unconsciousness, and which are now filled with so many aches and pains and trips to the bathroom and bouts of insomnia that I might as well trade them in for getting up to nurse a baby.

People have mentioned that the nine months of pregnancy go by fast for everyone else, and stretch on forever for the person who's pregnant.  Not true for me - pregnancy flew by!  I think this was mostly because I didn't believe I was pregnant until about five months in.  I knew I was, but it didn't feel real.  I thought the end of pregnancy might sneak up and catch me off guard.

Well, time has slowed down.  My hospital bag is packed.  From here on it'll be less scrambling to get ready, and more just - waiting!

2 comments:

Kortney said...

Would love to see a picture of your cute, full-term pregnant self. :)

carlamom said...

Emily,
The pregnancy amnesia goes away about a month after birth.
:)
If you haven't noticed, you probably forgot!
;-)