Saturday, October 15, 2011

I cause a slight disturbance and Anders is heroic

Yesterday morning, as my alarm was going off for the eighth time and I was starting to think about actually getting up, I lifted my arm and knocked over the large cup of water on my nightstand.  I keep a cup of water there every night, and it has often occurred to me that given the dark and its proximity to the alarm clock, a tip-over was bound to happen someday.  Up I hopped, turned on the light, and began throwing books on the bed and mopping up water.  As you might imagine, this commotion somewhat disturbed my sleeping husband.  He groggily asked if I needed help.  "No," I said.  Which was asinine.  I then tried to move the nightstand by tugging on it.

1.) You might remember that I'm 8 months pregnant.  2.) The nightstand is a solid piece of wood furniture with 2 drawers full of crap and a heavy lamp on top, all combining to make an object of considerable heaviness. 3.) We have hardwood floors, and there aren't any fuzzy felt things on the underside of the nightstand's feet to protect the floors or facilitate sliding.

The worst-case scenario would have been that my nightstand-moving efforts caused my membranes to rupture (I honestly am still not completely sure what that phrase means), sending me into pre-term labor, and gauged the wood floor at the same time.  That would have made for a better story, but thankfully didn't happen.  What happened was precisely nothing.  The nightstand sat there like a rock and I realized I was an idiot.

Anders realized this at the same time, and got up to take over.  I stood back and watched for a few seconds, then announced that I was going to take a shower, and left him to it.

All in all it must have been a pleasant morning for Anders.

Here's how he responded, after first moving the nightstand and mopping up the water: once I was dressed, he hugged me for a long time.  Later in the morning he sent me an encouraging email.  And when I came home he had cleaned, and he helped me bring in groceries even though the Brewers game was on the radio.

Yeah, I really like him.

This reminds me of the time that I accidentally poured our fish down the drain and Anders reached in and retrieved him by hand.  What do people do without husbands?

2 comments:

Christina Joy said...

Ha ha! I did the giant cup of water spill as well at one point during my first pg. Only I kept it on the headboard behind me. I took a drink one night, forgot to replace it (which means it teetered near my head for who knows how many hours), and he contents met their end...upon my husband's sleeping face next to me. It was atrocious. I feel your pain. :)

Alisse Goldsmith said...

I too keep a cup of water on my nightstand and I'm always worried about spilling it (the books would suffer). Once in the middle of the night I decided I was really thirsty, but instead of putting the water in my mouth, I poured it ALL OVER MYSELF (and Matt). WHOOPS. Except I'm not pregnant. I just do that on a normal day :)