Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Week 36

Well folks, the significance of today is that it's the last Eleventh before Jabberwocky's due date.  Holy smokes!

Today I had my 36-week check-up at the doctor's.  They took my blood again.  Now, blood in general is something that I don't like to have much to do with.  Needles make me pale and shaky.  I dread the lab.  The first couple times I had my blood drawn, the lab girls chatted with me to distract me from what was happening, and that was nice.  Once Anders came along and I looked fixedly at him and talked all the way through it. 

People who are not squeamish don't get squeamishness.  They just don't understand that heart-racing weak-kneed feeling we squeamish people get from things like blood.  My lab girl today didn't chat with me.  I was on the point of starting up with "How 'bout them Brewers?" a couple times, but was too nervous.  And then, with the needle in my arm and blood seeping into the little glass vial, she said this: "ha, it's gurgling!"

I was NOT amused.  I kept my eyes averted and did not smile and tried to have happy thoughts.

Then after that I pre-registered for Labor Day, so they can bustle me right on up to the delivery room when I walk in the hospital door.  And now I'll be going to the doctor every week!  This is like, final countdown stage!

3 comments:

Anika said...

I actually kind of like the taking blood process. It's cool to see the blood first spurt into the tube and fly through. I usually watch, nurse's probably think i'm weird, or a drug addict and I'm used to it...which I'm not. btw, thinking of having needles poked in me for money, that is, giving plasma. you up for it, jk.

Joseph said...

Yeah, I don't mind seeing blood, but I still don't prefer to watch it spurt out of me, so I just always looked away and just anticipated a prick, and then ignored the whole process. :) The un-fun part is having the hep-lock stuck in your vein the whole time you're there in labor. Not comfy if you're there for awhile.

Can't wait to see this baby!
blythe

Emily said...

not helping.